More than 200 people have died of coronavirus in Australia as the death toll continues to accelerate.
- Victoria experienced Australia’s darkest month in July with 95 coronavirus fatalities
- Australia recorded no deaths between May 23 and June 24 before outbreaks in Victoria
- The Ruby Princess cluster remains Australia’s deadliest, followed by the Newmarch House cluster
A man who was part of the Crossroads Hotel cluster in Sydney died overnight, while Victoria recorded three more deaths in the 24 hours to Saturday, taking the total to 201.
The latest deceased in Victoria were a man and woman in their 80s, and a woman in her 90s.
Premier Daniel Andrews said an increasing number of community transmission cases was causing concern.
There are currently 5,919 active cases of coronavirus in the state.
There are 1,075 cases among health workers, and the total active cases linked to the aged care sector is 1,008.
Mr Andrews says 379 patients were in hospital, 41 of whom were in intensive care.
It has taken Australia just five months to reach the grim milestone following the first coronavirus death of Perth man James Kwan on March 1.
That happened after the country’s first confirmed cases of COVID-19 in January.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison activated the national coronavirus emergency plan in February.
The country’s 100th death was Alice Bacon, a 93-year-old resident of Newmarch House in NSW, who died in May.
There were about 11 weeks between the passing of Mr Kwan and Ms Bacon. Similarly, it took 10 and a half weeks for Australia’s coronavirus death toll to double.
Victoria experienced Australia’s darkest month with 93 coronavirus fatalities in July, which came as Melbourne and the Mitchell Shire entered a second hard lockdown.
Victoria recorded its deadliest day on July 30 with 13 deaths, the same day the state announced a record 723 cases.
Analysis suggests it is likely the situation is going to get worse in the weeks to come.
Mr Andrews has suggested the six-week lockdown could be extended as case counts in the triple digits continue to be recorded daily.
When and where COVID-19 deaths have occurred
Prior to outbreaks in Melbourne, Australia went without any coronavirus death for about a month.
From May 23 there were no coronavirus deaths until a Victorian man aged in his 80s died on June 24, which marked the beginning of dozens of deaths in Victoria.
Prior to this NSW had the most deaths in the country, with many linked to the Ruby Princess cruise ship and outbreaks in aged care homes.
Victoria accounts for 116 of Australia’s deaths.
There have been 52 in NSW, 13 in Tasmania, nine in WA, four in Queensland, four in South Australia and three in the ACT.
Aged care facilities and cruise ships have been ground zero for the deadliest outbreaks.
The Newmarch House cluster in NSW has so far resulted in 17 deaths, the Dorothy Henderson Lodge aged care facility, also in NSW, is linked to six deaths.
Thirteen deaths have been recorded at other aged care facilities around the country.
Meanwhile, the Ruby Princess cluster remains the deadliest outbreak in the country with 20 deaths linked to the cruise ship.
Nine additional deaths have been linked to other cruise ships.