Loading...

Cricket Australia says Indian cricketers were racially abused at SCG, but offenders have not been found

Cricket Australia has confirmed Indian players were racially abused during the third Test at the SCG, but says it does not yet know who was responsible.

Senior Indian players spoke to officials after day three of the Sydney Test and an official complaint was lodged over alleged abuse received by Mohammed Siraj and Jasprit Bumrah.

A second alleged incident on day four led to play being halted for nine minutes after Siraj spoke to umpires about comments from the crowd.

Cricket Australia (CA) launched an investigation after day four.

On Wednesday, CA released an update, saying it had submitted a report to the International Cricket Council into crowd behaviour at the SCG.

“CA confirms that members of the Indian cricket team were subjected to racial abuse (at the SCG),” the organisation’s head of integrity and security, Sean Carroll, said in a statement.

“CA’s own investigation into the matter remains open, with CCTV footage, ticketing data and interviews with spectators still being analysed in an attempt to locate those responsible.

“Spectators who are found to have breached CA’s anti-harassment code face lengthy bans, further sanctions and referral to NSW Police.”

Indian players wearing white cricket kit point towards a section of the crowdIndian players wearing white cricket kit point towards a section of the crowd
Play was halted on day four in Sydney as India’s Mohammed Siraj complained about comments made by spectators.(Supplied: Fox Sports)

However, Cricket Australia said its investigators had concluded a number of spectators who were filmed and photographed by the media near the end of play on day four were not involved in racist behaviour.

CA apologised to the Indian team as hosts of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy series.

NSW Police also issued a statement on Tuesday, referring to its own investigation of complaints from India.

“About 3pm on 10 January 2021, a cricketer indicated to match officials racially based comments had been made towards him,” the statement said.

“A number of males were spoken with at the time.

“Since 10 January police have continued inquiries, speaking with several people allegedly involved, as well as a number of witnesses who were present in the area at the time.”

“Police found no evidence to support any prosecution for any offence.

“As such the police investigation has been finalised.

“However, should anyone possess information which would support any such allegation, that should be brought to the attention of police.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *