Looking for awesome September social media ideas in 2021? I’ve got them for you in bucketloads in this post. This post is filled with Social Media Holidays for the entire month of September. Get prepped with social media image, video and GIF ideas to fill the entire month of September.
BY DONNA MORITZ | UPDATED JUNE 2021
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This blog post is full of popular, national and international holidays for the entire month of September. It also includes weird and wacky (and unusual) days of celebration for September 2021. There are over 60+ different ideas in this post to keep you inspired.
So now you have loads of calendar ideas for September, we’ve also included weekly and monthly holidays too. I’ve also included tools and ideas for you to come back to at any time.
What’s Included with Your September Social Media Ideas
What to expect in this post full of September Social Media Ideas:
- a handy reference guide (Plus Infographic) so you can easily grab social media holidays for the month of September.
- free Canva templates so you can create images and videos quickly to match your posts!
- an overview of a September social media ideas. We’ve included ideas for what to create and how to share the content in this post. Take note that this is focused mainly on social video and GIFs. However, many of the ideas can also be used for image posts too!
- bonus (and awesome) tools and resources to help you to create visuals for dozens of Social Media Holidays. #AllTheHolidays! Our Social Media Content Calendar has got your back.
- Canva templates that you can use right now to start creating posts!
- Note that most of these holidays are US-based along with International and regional holidays. Look up holidays in your country or region to add more local content to your posts!
You can check out our other past monthly social media ideas posts (posts are updated at least 1-2 months ahead of the dates each year).
Tips for Prepping Your September 2021 Content Quickly
Creating content can take a lot of time, but scheduling content ahead can really help you to streamline the process. Do just a few of these things and it will make it soooo much easier for you to get your content strategy cranking.
Let’s get a whole month’s worth of content ready – created, scheduled, and prepped for you to post, in a snap. Here’s my tips for doing just that, especially related to creating video.
- Use templates to save time: Many Visual Design tools include templates to help you get started. Of course you can design content from scratch yourself, but for non-designers, this could take hours. It’s much easier to use a design template that a designer has created to save you time. Then you just have to edit it and customize it. Choose 1 or 2 things to edit such as the text, imagery/photo/background video, colors or fonts. Don’t change too many elements or you can easily ruin the design.
- Use batch creation. If you sit down and create one video or image or GIF… create more than one! Your time can be used so much more efficiently when you create content in batches. Don’t do it one by one. Once you open up the DIY design tools, make the most of it.
- Create social video for your primary social networks– start with short, social videos – 15-30 seconds is more than enough time for most social videos, to start with. Once you get the hang of it, switch it up to longer videos or YouTube length long-format video. Start simply.
- Create content that your audience loves to consume.Think about what they love to share and engage with. It could be questions, quotes, handy tips or how-to videos. Or maybe some fun, observational humour.
- Use GIFs to add personality to your posts – You can find GIFs from Giphy’s huge library of GIFs or create your own. GIFs are great for adding to social media posts, emails, messages or blog posts. They add humour and personality to your storytelling.. and they are fun! Be sure to share any Giphy GIFs directly from Giphy. It gives credit and views to the creator.
Use our quick reference guide to September Social Media Holidays in 2021. Share it now or save it to Pinterest for later reference:
Want our full 2021 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here (hint: it’s packed with 365 days of posts).
Let’s jump into the calendar days for 2021!
I’ve included at least one “day” or holiday for every day in this September list of social media ideas and holidays. We’ve also included hashtags, tools, tips and resources for creating visual content in 2021.
Get started by using the Canva templates in this post (free for Canva Pro users). Canva Pro gives you access to thousands of videos, elements, photos and templates from a whole range of designers on the Canva Marketplace. Try it free for 45 days on this link:
1. National No Rhyme (nor Reason) Day – an obscure day to start September with. This day is all about words in the English language which do not rhyme with any other words. It also refers to anything that occurs without any purpose or explanation.
2. It’s World Coconut Day. Go nuts posting about anything coconut, or anything to do with tropical islands!
3. Skyscraper Day – A day to celebrate the tallest of tall buildings around the world. Travelled and visited any cool skyscrapers lately? Maybe today is a good day to post about it as part of your September Social Media Ideas.
4. National Macadamia Nut Day – One of the most well-loved nuts around the world.. the humble macadamia is perfect in everything from salads to desserts. If you’re nuts about nuts, then post about nuts today! We love them in Australia. Fun Fact: Macadamias are native to Australia and Hawaii.
And for the bearded… it’s World Beard Day. It’s held on the first Saturday of September every year. Check out this website for beard-like activities to celebrate the humble beard.
And for the Bacon Lovers, it’s International Bacon Day. Share a bacon post to celebrate.
5. International Day of Charity – today is all about your favourite Not-for-profit or social enterprise. Find out more about it on the official UN website here. Use the hashtag #InternationalDayOfCharity or #CharityDay.
It’s also Be Late for Something Day. People who love to be punctual need not apply…. or…. maybe it’s a day to just chill and not be so rigid! #BeLateForSomethingDay
6. Read a Book Day- Today is the perfect day to talk about books, reading, authors and everything “Books”. Or about taking time out for self care and reading your favourite book! Use the hashtag #ReadABookDay.
Today is also Labor Day in the US and Canada, celebrated on the first Monday in September. This day pays tribute to all the hard-working people in vital roles in our society. Use the hashtag #LaborDay.
7. Salami Day- If you’re a meat lover or a pizza lover then today is the day to talk about it. Salami is a fermented, cured (then air-dried) sausage that is popular in Mediterranean countries. And it’s great on pizza.
8. International Literacy Day – Use the hashtag #LiteracyDay and check out the UN website for more information. This day is all about highlighting world literacy rates, and reflecting on the importance of literacy and the challenges we face with literacy in some parts of the world.
For fun, it’s also National Ampersand Day (so celebrate the humble &). Fun Fact: the Ampersand used to be the last letter of the alphabet and the word “ampersand” is a slurring of “real words” run together over time.
Share a fun quote including an Ampersand. You can edit this template to be Ying & Yang, Up & Down… whatever works for your audience:
9. If you love Sudoku Puzzles then get ready to have fun with your September social media ideas on International Sudoku Day. Held annually on September 9th.
10. Swap Ideas Day – It’s a day to share ideas, barter your products or exchange and different perspectives. Held annually on September 10 #SwapIdeasDay.
It’s also World Suicide Prevention Day – an initiative of the World Health Organisation. It’s confronting to think that a person dies every 40 seconds worldwide from suicide. Over 800,000 people, so consider sharing some attention for this cause on your social channels on September 10th.
11. National Day of Service & Remembrance – today is about remembering a day that changed the world forever – 9/11 and the lives lost. Use the hashtag #911Day.
It’s also Make Your Bed Day. If you’re looking to post about something related to business, maybe a post about the productivity benefits of making your bed is in order. Or ask your audience if they love/hate folding a fitted sheet! No matter your industry, there’s always an opinion.
12. National Video Games Day – Today is all about video games – love them or hate them, it’s highly likely some of your audience plays them. use the hashtag #videogamesday.
It’s also National Day of Encouragement #DayofEncouragement. Post content about lifting others up around us. A rising tide lifts all boats, as they say.
13. It’s also Positive Thinking Day – a great day for sharing positive, motivational quotes with your audience. Or maybe a message of encouragement or positivity. Think #PositiveThoughts. Or just share the happy vibes:
14. National Cream-Filled Donut Day – Need we say more? Any donut is good, but creme-filled… even better. And let’s face it, donut quotes, memes videos, and #AllTheDonutThings are the business.
It’s also National Boss/Employee Exchange Day – Today is a chance for employees and managers to change places and see how the other half works. Held on the 2nd Monday in September.
15. Greenpeace Day – Greenpeace continues to support and preserve the Earth – ever since it was founded on September 15, 1971. That was the day that 17 activists set sail to stop nuclear testing about to take place on the shores of Alaska. Get creative with September social media ideas around the environment.
It’s also Cheese Toast Day. Because who doesn’t love cheese toast.
16. National Play-Doh Day – Fun Fact: Play Doh was originally invented as a wallpaper cleaner by Joe McVicker but a second use was discovered for it – play! This is a well-loved toy the world over and today is the day to post about it. Here are a few fun facts to get you started.
17. Constitution Day (US) – The American Constitution was signed on September 17, 1787. Constitution Day is therefore celebrated every year on the 17th in September – to recognize the day that the United States Constitution was adopted.
It’s also The 18th is also International Grenache Day – Did somebody say red wine? Yes, it’s another red-wine appreciation day, and this time it’s all about Grenache. Held annually on the 3rd Friday in September, Grenache Day is a good day to post content about wine.
18. National Cheeseburger Day – Who doesn’t love a great burger with cheese? Every year Americans eat 50 billion cheeseburgers. That’s 3 burgers per week per person. The humble cheeseburger was trademarked by Louis Ballast of the Humpty Dumpty Drive-in, in Denver, Colorado, 1935. Use the hashtag #nationalcheeseburgerday.
The 18th is also the day that the profession of Chiropractic was founded – Chiropractic Founder’s Day is celebrated on September 18th every year. It’s the date that D.D. Palmer conducted the first chiropractic adjustment in Davenport, Iowa in 1895. It’s now the world’s largest drug-free non-surgical health profession.
International Red Panda Day is also celebrated on the 3rd Saturday in September.
19. Talk Like a Pirate Day – If you feel like talking like aaaarrrgh Pirate, today is the day. Use the hashtag #TalkLikeAPirateDay if you’re run out of September social media ideas and want to post about Pirates!
20. Today is National Fried Rice Day (founded by American restaurant chain, Benihana). Use the hashtag #FriedRiceDay. Or if you prefer pizza, it’s Pepperoni Pizza Day.
21. International Day of Peace – Use the hashtag #PeaceDay and find out more on the official United Nations website here. This day is all about humanity committing to Peace and building a culture of peace, above all of our differences.
It’s also World Gratitude Day. And if you like golf, it’s Mini-Golf Day too.
22. Hobbit Day – J.R.R. Tolkien fans rejoice. Today is all about the humble Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. Why the 22nd? Because it’s the birthday of two of Tolkien’s major characters – Bilbo Baggins and Frodo Baggins. Use the hashtag #HobbitDay
It’s also White Chocolate Day, so if you’re a chocolate lover, dig in! Or maybe ask your audience which pure chocolate flavour they like best – milk/dark, white or the recently discovered ruby red chocolate. Ask your audience which is their favorite:
September 22nd is also World Car Free Day. Today is the day to encourage your audience to go car-free. Take the train, tram, bus .. or ride a bike from A to B and reduce air emissions together.
And don’t forget the Rhinos. It’s World Rhino Day too.
23. It’s the International Day of Sign Language – celebrated on the 23rd September. Find out more on their UN website, here.
24. National Punctuation Day – All about Punctuation. Full Stop. But seriously, you can get creative with posts about writing and punctuation on this day – celebrated on the 24th September annually.
25. National One-Hit Wonder Day – We’ve all loved a one-hit wonder at some stage of our life. Share your favourites or ask your audience to share theirs! Here are a few one-time hits.
26. European Day of Languages – Use the hashtag #EDL2019. In Europe, over 800 million people are represented by the Council of Europe’s 47 member states. They are all encouraged to learn more languages at any age (as part of their studies or alongside their studies). This day has been celebrated since 2001 on 26th September.
It’s also National Dumpling Day. If you love dumplings, this is what you’ve been training for.
It’s also Save the Koala Day in Australia. Check out the website here to help celebrate and protect our furry friends – held on the last Sunday in September, annually.
27. World Tourism Day – I’m a big fan of tourism – as a traveller to 34 countries, a lover of local tourism and a speaker and consultant to the Tourism Industry. So of course I had to include World Tourism Day in this list of September Social Media Ideas and Holidays. Check out the official UN website here.
As they say, over the last 6 decades, tourism has expanded and diversified exponentially. It may be a tough year in 2020 but it will bounce back. In the meantime, support your local region and take a break locally or in your home State. There’s plenty to discover!
Use the hashtag #WTD2019 to celebrate World Tourism Day and share a fun post to celebrate our adventurous spirit on World Tourism Day:
28. Confucius’ Birthday – Confucius say… celebrate his birthday with a post of witty philosophy. Confucius was a Chinese philosopher and politician, born in 551 BC on this day. His philosophy is referred to as Confucianism and is based around justice, social relationships, and sincerity. There are plenty of posts on the web to source some great Confucianisms!
Can you relate to this Confucius Quote? Feel free to share it. (Video made in minutes with Wave.video).
Need more September social media ideas for this day? Try Ask a Stupid Question Day (use #AskAStupidQuestionDay) and National Good Neighbor Day in the US (not to be confused with Neighbour Day in Australia that is celebrated in March).
29. World Heart Day – Today is about creating a global community of “Heart Heroes” – people from all walks of life who are acting now to live longer, better, heart-healthy lives. And to do this by making a promise to cook and eat more healthily, exercise with our families and keep active, stay no to smoking, and for employers and employees to invest in healthy-heart workplaces. Find out more on the official World Hearth Day Website. Or share the heart love with this template:
30. International Podcast Day – Podcasts are huge all over the world, as we crave audio content to consume while out and about, exercising or driving long commutes in our cars. So it makes sense that we have a day to celebrate them. That day is the 30th September, annual with International Podcast Day. Check out the website for ideas to celebrate Podcast Day.
Maybe share a podcast you love using a template like this:
PS Here are a few social media podcasts, I’m loving!
The International Maritime Organization also celebrates World Maritime Day on this day. Find out more here. It’s celebrated on the last Thursday in September, annually.
Got enough September social media ideas and holidays? If not, dive into the week-long and month-long holiday ideas that are listed below!
September Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Months
Use this list of September month-long holidays to create content:
- Save the Koala Month – Find out more here.
- Better Breakfast Month
- Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- Child Passenger Safety Month
- Classical Music Month
- Happy Cat Month
- National Courtesy Month
- National Guide Dog Month
- National Mushroom Month… and National Potato Month!
- Suicide Prevention Month
- Read a New Book Month
Want more Canva Templates?
Follow my Canva Creator Profile here on the Canva Marketplace – I’m one of the original invite-only creators for the Canva Marketplace and have hundreds of templates available for you to use with a Canva Pro Account. When you follow a Creator you see their recent templates on the Templates Home Page.
And remember, you can join Canva Pro free for 45 days, using this link:
Quick Tips for Creating Visuals:
- Create social media videos about the holiday in question – You can do a Top-5 list, show behind the scenes content (related to one of the holidays) or create a a how-to video, craft tutorials, or quote videos. You’re only limited by your creativity. Is it World Tourism Day? Do a video about tips for travel. Use one of the video tools below to help you!
- Create fun GIFs that reflect the holiday you’re posting about. Or share a GIF direct from the library in Giphy
- Create some images based around the holiday – create a quote, or a saying, a meme. Add a tip or photo that reflects the celebration day or image with text overlay.
Want more Social Media Content Calendar ideas?
Check out our complete 12-month calendar for 2021 in this post:
What will you create for your monthly social media posts? Get started with this calendar!
Donna is a Visual Content Strategist and founder of Socially Sorted, listed by Forbes as a “Top 5 Social Media Blog You Need to Know About in 2019”. Donna helps brands leverage the power of visual storytelling and content strategy in their business. Her content has been featured in publications such as Forbes and Entrepreneur Online and she is a contributor to Social Media Examiner. Donna speaks about digital and visual content for the marketing and tourism industries internationally.