Looking for fun, easy October social media ideas in 2021? I’ve got dozens of them for you in this post. This article is filled with Social Media Holidays for the whole month of October 2021 (and some Canva templates to get you started!). Get your content set to go with social media video ideas, images, videos and more!
BY DONNA MORITZ | UPDATED AUGUST 29, 2021
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This blog post is jam-packed with national and international holidays for the entire month of October, 2021. We’ve also included weird and wacky (and unusual) days of celebration for October too. In fact, there are over 60+ different ideas in this blog post, so you’ll never run out of ideas.
Oh, and we’ve also included weekly and monthly October social media holidays too. I’ve also included tools and ideas for you to come back to at any time.
What’s Included with Your October Social Media Ideas
What to expect in this post packed with October Social Media Ideas:
- Canva templates for you to create images and videos quickly to match your posts!
- an overview of all the October social media ideas. This includes what to create and how to share the content you create from this post – images or even videos or GIFs.
- a super-handy reference guide (plus an Infographic) to help you easily grab social media ideas and holidays for the month of October in 2021.
- Bonus visual tools and resources so you can create visuals for dozens of Social Media Holidays. Yep, that’s #AllTheHolidays! We’ve got your back with our Social Media Holiday Content Calendar.
Check out all the monthly social media ideas posts in this series:
- 60+ January Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ February Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ March Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ April Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ May Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ June Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ July Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ August Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ September Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ November Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
- 60+ December Social Media Holidays – Videos, GIFs and More
Note that most of these holidays are US-based along with International and regional holidays. Look up holidays in your country or region to add more local content to your posts!
Tips for Creating October Content Quickly
Creating your October content can take a lot of time. But when you schedule content ahead you can really streamline the process. Try doing just a few of these things and you’ll rest soooo much easier knowing your content strategy is cranking!
We’re going to get a whole month’s worth of content ready – all your October social media ideas… created scheduled, and prepped, ready to post. Here are some tips for doing that with your video content:
- Use templates: Just about every visual design tool I know uses templates to help you get started. Use them! Yes, you CAN design content from scratch yourself. But if you’re a non-designer, why would you waste hours? Instead, use a design template that was created by a designer and save some time. Simply edit and customize it. And if you choose only 1 or 2 things to edit (such as the text, imagery/photo/background video, colors or fonts) you’ll create something custom that looks great. If you try to change too many elements, you can easily ruin the design.
- Batch it, baby! If you’re going to create one video or image or GIF… why not create more than one! Creating in batches is so much more efficient for your time vs doing it one-by-one. If you open up your DIY design tools and start using them, make the most of it.
- Create social video ready to post – Creating social video to post to your social networks? Start with short, social videos of just 15-30 seconds in length. It’s more than enough time to catch our attention. Once you feel confident, switch it up to longer videos or YouTube length long-format video.
- Know the content your audience loves to consume. What do they love to share and engage with? Is it questions? Quotes? Handy tips? How-to videos? Or maybe some fun, observational humour?
- Use GIFs for more personality – Millions of GIFs can be found in Giphy’s huge library of GIFs. Or you can even create your own! GIFs add personality to social media posts, emails, blog posts or messages. They add humour and fun to your storytelling. Be sure to share Giphy GIFs directly from Giphy to give credit and views to the creator.
Canva Templates + 45 Days free on Canva Pro
Get started by using the Canva templates in this post (free for Canva Pro users). Canva Pro gives you access to thousands of videos, elements, photos and templates from a whole range of designers on the Canva Marketplace. Try it free for 45 days on this link:
Use our quick reference guide to all your October Social Media Ideas. Share it or save it to Pinterest for later reference:
Want to see the full 2021 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here.
Below we have featured at least one “day” or holiday for every day in our October social media ideas and holidays. Where possible, we’ve also included hashtags, tips, tools, and resources for easily creating visual content in 2021. Let’s jump in!
1. International Coffee Day – But first, on the 1st of the month … coffee. Today is International Coffee Day and it’s all about Coffee. How it’s made, where it comes from and oh my, the drinking of it. Find out more here.
Share a fun Coffee quote with your audience using this Canva template:
Or share a fun coffee quote on Coffee Day – you can find this one on my branded account in Giphy:
It’s also World Smile Day. Use the hashtag #WorldSmileDay (first Friday in October).
2. International Day of Non-Violence #InternationalDayOfNonViolence – a day that marks the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, leader of the Independence movement and pioneer of the philosophy and strategy of non-violence (an official UN day). Find out more here.
And if you’re looking for something to make you smile, it’s also Name Your Car Day. #NameYourCarDay.
3. National Techies Day – Techies Unite! Today is a day to talk about all things techie. Use the hashtag #TechiesDay. It’s also a day where educational institutions encourage students to consider a career tech!
4. National Taco Day – Taco Lovers, this is the day we’ve been prepping for! It’s all we can Taco about… Taco Day! Use the hashtag #NationalTacoDay.
Here’s a Taco Truck Inspired menu template from my Canva Creator account, that you can edit for any food content or menu:
Today is also World Habitat Day – The UN is rolling out plenty of “days” in October – use #WorldHabitatDay. Find out more here.
And it’s National Vodka Day too. Skål! Cocktail, anyone?
If you’re an animal lover, there it’s World Animal Day too! Find out more here.
5. World Teachers Day – a day to celebrate all that our teachers do for us whether teaching young kids or University students or someone taking an online course. Teaching and Education matters. #WorldTeachersDay. This is an official UN celebration day.
And for the Bond Lovers… it’s Global James Bond Day. It’s a celebration of over 5 decades of the Bond franchise. #JamesBondDay. Bond shares his day’s with World Architecture Day. Use #ArchitectureDay (first Monday of every October)
Another day to note for the 5th is Blue Shirt Day (World Day of Bullying Prevention) – 1st Monday in October.
6. Mad Hatter Day – Today is the day to roll out you best Alice in Wonderland Quotes and celebrate this weirdly wonderful story and the Mad Hatter. #MadHatterDay.
It’s also National Noodle Day. #NationalNoodleDay World Cerebral Palsy Day #CerebralPalsyDay.
If you’re partial to green smoothies, it’s also National Kale Day – the first Wednesday in October – #NationalKaleDay.
7. It’s also National Frappe Day.… not sure if Kale goes with Frappes. I think not. But we sure did want to include Frappe’s as part of our October social media holiday ideas. And with a sparkle:
8. National Pierogi Day – If you’ve never chowed down on Pierogis then today is the day to start.
It’s also National Salmon Day and World Octopus Day. Find out a few fun facts here.
9. International Beer and Pizza Day – The fabulous food days keep on coming and this time we get to have a drink with it. Time for beer and pizza! #BeerAndPizzaDay
It’s also World Post Day – yet another UN-celebrated day to mark the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern. It’s Emergency Nurses Day too (held on the 2nd Wednesday in October every year).
And it’s Universal Music Day so add some music to your posts as part of your October social media holiday ideas.
Get creative with a fun sticker overlay template like this one from my Canva Creator profile. Change up the curved text to make it say any positive “mirror” message that you like:
Rock it out today! It’s Hug a Drummer Day – As a drummer myself, I had to include this day. It’s all about the celebration of drummers in bands. Not often the most noticed but without them… you’d have no backbeat!
11. Today is the International Day of the Girl. This day is all about reminding us that for girls in developing worlds, gender equality isn’t just about glass ceilings, it’s about basic human rights… it’s about “Fun-damental human rights:
It’s also the National Coming Out Day. A day where people can celebrate those coming out as lesbian, gay, transgender, queer (LGBTQ) or as an ally. Find out more and get resources here.
We couldn’t resist creating a fun “Love is Love” template as part of these October social media holiday ideas. Use it to celebrate the importance of this day:
12. National Gumbo Day – What is Gumbo, you may ask? It’s a stew-like creole dish from Louisiana, seasoned heavily and typically includes strong stock (made from meat or shellfish) and cooked over a couple of hours with seafood or meat and vegetables. #GumboDay
It’s also World Arthritis Day – a global awareness-raising day for arthritis (find out more here).
13. National Train Your Brain Day – Use the hashtag #TrainYourBrainDay and get out there and do something brain-stimulating! It could be to learn a new skill (how about juggling?) to learning a language. Or maybe just brushing up on your memory skills. On social media, why not share a puzzle or brainteaser!
14. National Dessert Day – No words are needed, really. Today is about finding your favourite dessert and indulging in it. Or maybe snapping a photo for social media. If you manage it …before you devour the thing!
Ask your audience what their favourite dessert is. Mine is pavlova!
It’s also World Sight Day. Use #WorldSightDay to bring awareness to the fact that most blindness and vision impairment is preventable. Find out more here. World Sight Day is held on the second Thursday in October every year.
15. Global Handwashing Day – In 2020 this is more important than ever. There’s no doubting the impact of handwashing on preventing diseases and saving lives. Find out more here. #GlobalHandwashingDay.
16. World Food Day – World Food Day is a day for awareness of hunger around the world and promoting better nutrition. Find out more here and use the hashtag #WorldFoodDay on your posts.
It’s also World Spine Day and Steve Jobs Day if you feel like talking about your Apple obsession.
17. International Day of Eradication of Poverty – Another UN-day that is all about “coming together with those furthest behind to build an inclusive world of universal respect for human rights and dignity”. Find out more here.
18. National Chocolate Cupcake Day – What’s better than Chocolate? Cake? No. But Chocolate + Cake.. that’s another matter! Today is the day to indulge in your favourite Chocolate Cupcake!
It’s also National No Beard Day if you are partial to a smooth face. It’s time to shave!
And if you need a clean-up, check out National Clean Your Virtual Desktop Day. Guilty as charged. This is a good reminder to delete some desktop files (3rd Monday in October).
19. Evaluate Your Life Day – Didn’t know this was a day? Apparently it is! Today is about taking a look at your life and where you’re at. Accept it and love it and be grateful or change it up (and still be grateful).
It’s also New Friends Day – maybe as you evaluate your life, it might be a good time to connect with some new friends! Or even catch up with old ones!
20. International Sloth Day – One of my favourite animals ever (maybe it’s the cheeky, friendly smile!).It’s a good time to share some surprising facts about the Sloth. #SlothDay (a no-brainer to include as part of our October Social Media Holiday Ideas because I’m obsessed with Sloths).
It’s also Information Overload Day – a good day to post about working smarter not harder, being productive and getting more out of your time… to avoid the dreaded overwhelm.
21. Reptile Awareness Day – all things lizards and snakes and scaly reptiles. Today is a good day to share content around our cold-blooded friends, their preservation and protection. #ReptileAwarenessDay.
22. International Caps Lock Day – Use Caps Lock with caution as nobody WANTS TO THINK YOU’RE SHOUTING AT THEM. But if you were to go all in on Caps Lock… TODAY MIGHT BE A GOOD DAY TO DO IT! #CapsLockDay (note this is the original date and you may see it also celebrated on June 28th).
It’s also National Nut Day. Go nuts with nuts today. #NationalNutDay.
23. iPod Day – observed annually on the 23rd October, this day is all about the humble iPod, introduced to our world on October 23, 2001.
There are two things to think about here. Firstly, why did Steve use that font for his presentation (sorry couldn’t resist)? And secondly, this was marketing genius. Telling us that we could have a device that holds 1000 songs in our pocket. That’s all he needed to say.
24. United Nations Day – The world celebrates this day to honor the interstate organization promoting human rights, social progress and world peace … and basically keeping the world accountable. We also have the UN to thank for a huge percentage of our “days” on these calendars. Find out more about the UN and UN Day here. #UnitedNationsDay
It’s also Take Back Your Time Day. It’s about taking back your time to spend with family or just take a break – and why vacations are important, even if just stay-cations at home! #TakeBackYourTime. Maybe a little relexation and reflection is on the cards. Use this video template to share from my Canva Creator Profile:
25. World Pasta Day – From lasagne to spaghetti, today is all about Pasta. #WorldPastaDay. Share your favorite pasta recipe!
Need something else with your pasta? It’s also Greasy Foods Day. #GreasyFoodsDay.
26. National Pumpkin Day – All things Pumpkin and Pumpkin Spice. Today is all about the pumpkin. #NationalPumpkinDay
Fun Fact – in the US and Canada, pumpkin is often eaten as a sweet dish – pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake and pumpkin spice in a latte. In Australia, we eat it as a vegetable in savoury dishes, like soup, and roast pumpkin. It’s all a matter of taste (and location!).
It’s also National Mincemeat Day. There are so many meals with Mincemeat!
27. World Day for Audiovisual Heritage – This day was chosen by Unesco in 2005 to raise awareness of the contributions made to society by films, radio and television. Share your fave show!
28. International Animation Day – It’s fitting that we should be writing a post about short video and animations when today is all about Animation. From Disney animation to GIFs, today is a good day to post about animation (or post an animated image).
29. National Internet Day – Life was very different before the internet. Love it or hate it, it’s here to stay. Today is a good day to start a discussion about “the net”.
30. Checklist Day – Got a few things on your ToDo List? Check them off on Checklist Day. Share a fun “checklist” inspired quote or image, like this one form my Canva Creator profile:
31. Halloween – this day needs no introduction. It’s all things spooky and ghouly on #Halloween.
Share a fun animated Halloween post like this one:
And we can never have too many Halloween templates, so how about a fun Message reminder notification post? This will engage your audience around Halloween.
I mean, really… we all hide the candy, right?
It’s also World Magic Day (to commemorate the day that Houdini Died in 1926. Find out more here.
October Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Weeks and Months
Use this list of October month-long holidays to help you create content:
- National Walk Your Dog Week (7 days starting 1st October)
- Universal Children’s Week (7 days starting 1st October)
- Fire Prevention Month
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Financial Planning Month
- National Pizza Month
- LGTB History Month
- National Chilli Month
- National Chiropractic Health Month
- National Pasta Month
Need more video ideas?
As you may have noticed, I’ve included a couple of “video” templates from my Canva profile. Now that you can create so much more “video content” in tools like Canva, it’s worth adding a few ideas for what to create! Check out this Ultimate List of 99 Video Ideas to Inspire You – this is a packed post, full of ideas for topics and themes to help you create video:
3. Other Video Creation Tools:
Try some of these tools for creating video quickly and easily:
- Wave.video – One of my favourite video tools for creating easy social video.
- Canva – create quick animations using Canva’s MP3 animation tool.
- InShot – a popular app for creating videos using fun filters, editing effects, multiple sizes and stickers. Available on iOS, plus Android.
- Giphy – You’ll never run short of GIF inspiration with Giphy. Use it in two ways. Either create your own GIFs using video snippets or images or share GIFs direct from Giphy.
Want more Social Media Content Calendar ideas?
Check out our complete 12-month calendar for 2021 in this post:
Over to You
What tools and strategies will you use for creating social media posts in October this year? Get started with this calendar!
Donna is a Visual Content Strategist and founder of Socially Sorted, listed by Forbes as a “Top 5 Social Media Blog You Need to Know About in 2019”. Donna helps brands leverage the power of visual storytelling and content strategy in their business. Her content has been featured in publications such as Forbes and Entrepreneur Online and she is a contributor to Social Media Examiner. Donna speaks about digital and visual content for the marketing and tourism industries internationally.