Looking for creative March social media ideas? This post is packed with Social Media Holidays for March 2022, along with Canva templates to get you started!
BY DONNA MORITZ | UPDATED JANUARY, 2022
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
Now you can create a post quickly for any day of the week in March in 2022 – complete with Canva templates so you can create your visual content for the month, quickly and easily.
There are social media holidays for each day of the week. And of course, our March social media ideas also include popular and international holidays, as well as more unusual holidays and days of celebrations. Dozens of ideas for you, ready to go… 60+ in fact, all for the month of March in 2022.
What Comes With our March Social Media Ideas?
You’ll find plenty in this post packed with March Social Media Ideas:
- Canva templates for you to create stunning images and videos quickly to match your posts!
- an overview of all the March social media ideas for your content calendar. This includes what to create and how to share the content you create from this post – for images, videos or GIFs.
- a super-handy reference guide (plus an Infographic) to help you easily grab social media ideas and holidays for the month of March in 2022.
Check out the other monthly social media ideas posts in this series (updated early 2022).
Tips for Creating March Content Ahead of Time (the easy way!)
Creating content can be dang hard! It takes time and seems like a job that never ends. But, if you take the time to schedule ahead and use a few time hacks, you’ll find it be so much easier than you think – and get a month-s worth of content created and scheduled. In no time at all!
Here are my tips for getting it done, quickly and easily:
- Use templates. The tools I’ve recommended below all use templates to help you create your finished content from our March social media ideas. Use a template and let it guide your designs and edits. If you’re not a designer, save yourself some time creating and editing when it will take you hours. Instead, use a template that a designer has already produced for you to make it easy! Cut straight to editing the template – and limit your edits to just the text or photo or color or fonts. Don’t “over-edit” the template or you’ll ruin the nuances of the design (sorry, but this is one of the biggest mistakes I see, and that goes for me too!).
- Use batching. If you’re going to get creative and create some social videos or images, why not create more than one? Whether it’s another 2, 3, 10 or 20 short videos or images, the point here is that it is much easier to create a batch of content in one sitting rather than individual videos or images at separate times. If your computer is on, the software is open, keep creating. It saves you loads of time.
- Create short videos to post on social media – On Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, short videos that are 15-30 seconds are enough (maybe up to 1 minute). These types of videos are designed to stop us scrolling through our feeds but not too long to lose our interest. For more advice about how to create effective 15 second videos, check out this post.
- Create content that is easily consumed. As I said, we like to scroll through our feed, so content like quotes, tips, observational humour, quick how-to videos work great for engagement.
Canva Templates + 45 Days Free Trial on Canva Pro
Get started by using the Canva templates in this post (includes templates that are both Free for all Canva users, and Free for Canva Pro users). Canva Pro gives you access to thousands of videos, elements, photos and templates from a whole range of designers on the Canva Marketplace. Try it free for 45 days on this link:
Quick Guide Infographic for March Social Ideas & Holidays
Here’s a quick reference guide to some of the most popular March social media ideas and holidays so you don’t miss them. Share it or save it to Pinterest to refer to later.
Want the see the complete 2022 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here.
Remember, there’s at least one holiday “day” for every day in this list of March social media ideas and holidays.
Look out for the hashtags, tools, tips and resources to help you create visual content in 2021. This post will be updated annually to adjust the dates and days of celebration for each month, and we will also add content as we create or discover it. Keep it bookmarked to refer back to.
1. Peanut Butter Lovers Day) – #PeanutButtterLovers
Share your favourite peanut butter recipe!
It’s also World Compliment Day. Hey… you’re looking sharp!
Maybe pay your audience or community a compliment about why you love them so much!
It’s also Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday). Use the hashtag #NationalPancakeDay.
2. Old Stuff Day #OldStuffDay – a good day to talk about #ThrowBackThursday posts or nostalgia or retro things!
It’s also Dr Seuss Day. So break out your best Dr Seuss quote!
3. World Wildlife Day – #WorldWildlifeDay
A great source of GIFs around animals and wildlife is the Giphy channel for the @sandiegozoo and wildlife park. They have a lot of great fun, GIFs that can be used for every occasion. They also do GIF Stories like this one and this one(including fun memes).
Or use this template to share on your socials:
4. National Grammar Day – #NationalGrammarDay
Why not create some content highlighting some common, funny, or just plain irritating grammar mistakes. They’re, There, Their, it’s not that hard.
While we’re talking about Grammar, Merriam Webster is a dictionary, repeat …dictionary and they manage to have some of the most awesome and witty social media accounts on the web (and a very witty funny account) to inspire you. I’m not surprised that they also have a Giphy channel.
It’s also National Snack Day. If you were to indulge in snacks, or post about your favourite snack… today would be the day.
It’s also the National Day of Unplugging (first Friday in March). It’s the perfect time to switch off those devices and enjoy the weekend unplugged too! Use #nationaldayofunplugging #unplug – find out more on this website or on the Instagram account.
If you have an employee (or more than one!) remember that today is Employee Appreciation Day (1st Friday in March). Be a good boss and show them you care, and if you’re an employee… celebrate your fellow employees. Post something about your awesome employees and why you love them!
5. National Absinthe Day – #NationalAbsintheDay … if you’re game!
6. National Dress Day – #NationalDressDay – Find out more on this website. And yes it’s about the celebration of dresses. Post your favourite dress on #DressDay.
7. National Be Heard Day – #BeHeardDay
8. International Women’s Day – Use #IWD and #IWD2021 focusing on the belief (truth!) that “Women’s rights are human rights!”” in 2021. The theme for this year is ‘Women in Leadership: Achieving an Equal Future in a COVID-19 World’.
Why not share a quote from your favourite inspirational woman. From your Mum to Maya Angelou, share some inspirational wisdom with your audience!
9. National Meatball Day – #NationalMeatballDay & National Napping Day #NationalNappingDay. Today is all about napping. Share some cool or interesting or humorous content around sleep.
Time for a lunchtime nap? And while you do, it might be time to get over whatever is bugging you (or remind your audience to). Today is National Get Over It Day. #GetOverItDay
10. Pack Your Lunch Day – #PackYourLunchDay
It’s also Popcorn Lover’s Day. Break out the movies and popcorn! Use a fun popcorn template for a menu or to showcase a selection of items, like this one:
11. Dream Day – #DreamDay – posts about this could go a number of ways. What are your dreams this year? What do dreams for x, y and z actually mean. Get creative!
12. Alfred Hitchcock Day – #AlfredHitchcock or #AlfredHitchcockDay. Get content ideas here.
It’s also Girl Scout Day, the day to commemorate the birthday of the Girl Scout Organisation, when in 1912, Juliette Gordon Low founded the very first girl troop of scouts with 18 girl members in Savannah, Georgia. Use #GirlScoutDay.
13. Today is National Good Samaritan Day. Share your favourite good samaritan story! #GoodSamaritan
14. Pi Day – use #PiDay which is an annual celebration of the mathematical constant π.
It’s also National Napping Day.
15. World Consumer Rights Day – A day for raising global awareness about consumer rights.
16. National Freedom of Information Day – #FreedomOfInformation
It’s also (and brace yourself for the cuteness) Panda Day. This day is run by the World Wildlife Federation and you can find out more here.
17. St Patrick’s Day – #StPatricksDay
Celebrate St Patrick’s Day by creating something fun using the video and GIF tools below. Or use these this template:
March social media ideas for this article wouldn’t be the same without the luck of the Irish!
18. Awkward Moments Day – #AwkwardMoments – Celebrated on March 18 every year, National Awkward Moments Day is about celebrating the awkward and embarrassing moments that are part of our life which DO happen (let’s not pretend they don’t!).
19. National Let’s Laugh Day -#LetsLaughDay
It’s also World Sleep Day #WorldSleepDay (held on the Friday before the March Equinox, annually).
March really is the month of sleep with National Napping Day and World Sleep Day being just a few days apart. Maybe we need a week to sleep?
20. World Storytelling Day – #WorldStorytellingDay
You can’t go past a good book or author quote on World Storytelling Day.
It’s also the International Day of Happiness. A great day to post about happiness and fulfilment. #DayofHappiness.
21. International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination #RacialDescriminationDay
It’s also World Poetry Day – celebrate your favourite poet from Maya Angelou to Edgar Allan Poe, William Shakespeare and Robert Burns.
22. World Water Day – #WorldWaterDay. Find out more here.
23. National Puppy Day – #NationalPuppyDay. It’s also World Meteorological Day.
24. National Cocktail Day -#NationalCocktailDay
25.Tolkien Reading Day – #TolkienReadingDay.
Today is a great day to share a quote from one of JK Tolkien’s books. You’ll find plenty of words to choose from in the Lord of the Rings series alone.
It’s also Waffle Day #WaffleDay.
26. Nougat Day – #NougatDay – find out more about this yummy sweet’s day here.
It’s also Purple Day #PurpleDay. Post something featuring the color purple or purple-inspired:
It’s also Earth Hour Day #EarthHour (the last Saturday in March). It’s time to commit to No Power, One Hour on Saturday 27th March.
27. National Quirky Song Titles Day – Find out more about this quirky day here.
It’s also World Theatre Day – use the hashtag #WorldTheatreDay.
28. National Blackforest Cake Day – #BlackforestCake.
And if you’re a foodie, you’ll love this day of celebration – Something on a Stick Day. Think about all the creative foods you can post about that begin with a stock or are presented on a stick – sweet and savoury.
29. National Mom and Pop Business Owners Day – #MomandPopBusiness
30. National Doctor’s Day – #DoctorsDay. After the year or so that we have had, acknowledging the hard work of our Doctor’s would be a timely thing to do on this day.
It’s also National Take a Walk in the Park Day. Take the dogs and the humans outside.
It’s also (just for fun) Virtual Vacation Day. This is a great day to talk about travel and vacations with your community, including where you would wish to go, where your favorite vacation destination is and where you would love to be right now! Share a video like this one:
Black and White Travel Turkey Showcase Letterbox Facebook Video by Donna Moritz (Socially Sorted)
31. International Transgender Day of Visibility – #TransDayofVisibility
It’s also World Backup Day. You should always have a backup-plan… and back-up data too! Remind your audience to back up their data today! #WorldBackupDay
Want access to more templates and better features? Grab my free trial of Canva Pro for 45 days to test it out:
March Social Media Ideas and Holidays – Calendar Weeks/Months
Here’s a quick list of March month-long and week-long holidays to dive into to find week-long social media ideas:
- American Cheerleading Week (1st week in March)
- Red Cross Month (US)
- Brain Injury Awareness Month
- Dolphin Awareness Month
- Irish-American Heritage Month
- National Caffeine Awareness Month
- National Crochet Awareness Month
- National Kidney Month
- Optimism Month
- Women’s History Month
- Preschool Education Month
- Save Your Vision Month
Here’s a couple of quick and easy tips for creating images in Canva for 2022 content:
1. Use templates
The templates I have shared in this post are just the tip of the iceberg. Want more templates? Follow me on Canva to see 100s of additional templates (including new templates as I release them). Available for both Free Users of Canva and Pro Users.
2. Create Videos
Canva has a really cool video feature that just gets better and better. You can quickly and easily add animated text, objects or whole-page animations to your as well as full videos with transitions and music. With this feature at your fingertips, Canva is a great tool to have in your business arsenal.
3. Get More Calendar Ideas!
Check out my complete 2022 calendar post for more 2022 Social Media Calendar ideas!
Over to You
Do you schedule your content ahead? What are your Favourite March Social Media holidays and have we missed any?
Donna is a Visual Content Strategist and founder of Socially Sorted, listed by Forbes as a “Top 5 Social Media Blog You Need to Know About”. Donna helps brands leverage the power of visual storytelling and content strategy in their business. Her content has been featured in publications such as Forbes, Inc. & Entrepreneur and she is a speaker and trainer on visual content for the marketing and tourism industries internationally.