Ready to rock with August social media ideas in 2021? We’ve featured loads of them in this post. It’s packed with Social Media Holidays for the month of August – including social media post ideas, video ideas, GIFs and Canva templates, ready for you to schedule.
BY DONNA MORITZ | UPDATED JUNE, 2021
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
This is a jam-packed post, full of popular, national and international holidays for the entire month of August. We’ve also added many unusual, weird and wonderful (and lesser known) August social media ideas and days of celebration. In fact, overall, you’ll find 60+ different ideas in this post to get your creative juices flowing.
We’ve got calendar ideas for every single day in August, as well as ideas for weekly and monthly holidays – so you’re fully covered. We’ve also added some tools and ideas, so this post is worth coming back to year after year.
What Comes With our August Social Media Ideas in 2021?
Here’s what you can expect from these August Social Media Ideas:
- we’ve shared an infographic so you can quickly grab social media holidays for the month.
- there’s an overview of the complete month of August social media ideas – including ideas for what to create and how to share the content. This post is focused mainly on ideas for social video and GIFs but many of the ideas can also be used for image posts.
- there’s also a bonus list of resources and tools to help you create visuals for loads of Social Media Holidays – Including Canva templates (free for Canva Pro users).
You can check out our other monthly social media ideas posts here:
Tips for Prepping Your August Content Quickly
Creating content can take a LOT of time, but if you schedule content ahead it helps greatly to streamline everything. The following tips will help to make it easier for you.
Get prepped with a whole month of content in 2021 – that’s content that’s created, scheduled, and prepped to post, in much less time than you think. Here are a few tips for doing that, especially when it comes to creating video:
- Use templates – it makes it easier! Many DIY Design tools have templates as part of your subscription. Use them! To help with this, we’ve included some Canva templates to get you started in this post. Edit the templates, customize it for your own! Focus on editing the basics – the text/stock imagery/photo/background video – as well as colors and fonts. If you keep it simple, you won’t ruin the design.
- Batch all the things (and your images!). It’s much easier if you sit down and create more than one video or image or GIF at a time. You’re already making one, why not more? Make the most of it when you open up those design tools!
- Create short-form video for your social networks – start with shorter, social video. Even 15-30 seconds is long enough for most social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook. Then progress to longer videos or YouTube length long-format video when you have the time to do so.
- Create awesome that you know your audience will love. Share things we love to share – like questions, quotes, how-to videos, fun observational humour or handy tips.
- GIFs add some spark to your post – so create them. GIFs add personality. You can find GIFs from Giphy’s huge library of GIF designs and they are great for adding into emails, websites, messages, and social posts. They add humour and personality to your storytelling. Always share directly from Giphy to give credit and views to the creator.
Here’s a quick reference guide to August Social Media Holidays in 2021. Share it or save it to Pinterest for later reference:
Want the full 2021 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here.
I’ve included at least one “day” or holiday for every day in this August list of social media ideas and holidays. We’ve also included hashtags, tools, tips and resources for creating visual content in 2021.
Get started by using the Canva templates in this post (free for Canva Pro users). Canva Pro gives you access to thousands of videos, elements, photos and templates from a whole range of designers on the Canva Marketplace. Try it free for 45 days on this link:
1. Spiderman Day – Is your spidey sense working? Today is all about your friendly neighbourhood Spiderman. And given the latest Marvel movies, Spiderman is always a popular superhero! Find out more here.
It’s also Respect for Parents Day and National Girlfriend’s Day, and Campfire Day (1st Saturday in August).
Oh, and World Wide Web Day. Where would we be without it, hey? Probably offline enjoying life a lot more, hehe.
And it’s Friendship Day (1st Sunday in August) and Global Forgiveness Day. Yes, today is all about forgiveness. Use the hashtag #GlobalForgivenessDay. Held annually on the 1st Sunday in August.
2. National Coloring Book Day – use the hashtag #NationalColoringBookDay.
3. Watermelon Day – It’s all about juicy, red watermelon today. The humble watermelon is as popular as flamingos and pineapples lately so any social media post with a watermelon theme should do well.
It’s also National Night Out day.
4. National Chocolate Chip Day – Not that we need an excuse but yes, it’s another chocolate day!
5. National Oyster Day – Love them or hate them, today is the day to post about Oysters!
It’s also National Underwear Day. Ooh, La La.
6. Hiroshima Day – Today is the day to remember the bombing of Hiroshima but also for anti-war and anti-nuclear discussions.
It’s also International Beer Day. Cheers!
It’s also National Root Beer Float Day (if you are in the US).
7. Professional Speakers Day – Celebrate your favourite speakers.
It’s also Lighthouse Day, Sandcastle Day (first Saturday in August) and Purple Heart Day.
8. International Cat Day – if there ever was a day to post a cat meme, this is it.
It’s also Dalek Day (Dr Who fans, get excited!) and and Gay Uncles Day.
9. National Book Lover’s Day – Use the hashtag #NationalBookLoversDay when you post about all things books and the love of books. Maybe share a post like this one about being a book nerd:
Or perhaps you’d like to share a video version:
This video was made with my favourite video tool. Check it out!
It’s also the International Day of the World’s Indigenous People, so worth sharing something to acknowledge the first residents of our lands, no matter where we live in the world.
10. S’mores Day – Crack out the s’mores supplies. Today is the day for all things marshmallow, graham crackers and chocolate. Hint: my favourite combination is actually a sandwich of chocolate pretzels with cooked marshmallow in between. Sooooo good with a hint of salt!
Here’s a fun Pinterest Video Pin template you can use to share your new-found love of S’mores… or just to share any recipe on your website or Pinterest:
It’s a good thing that it is also National Lazy Day as you’ll be in a sugar + food coma after eating s’mores. Use the hashtag #NationalLazyDay.
Oh, and it’s World Lion Day too. Find out more here. ,
11. National Sons and Daughters Day – use hashtag #SonsAndDaughtersDay
It’s also National Hip Hop Day.
12. International Youth Day – Celebrate the world’s youth today and use the hashtag #WorldYouthDay.
It’s also World Elephant Day – to celebrate these wonderful, gentle, loving, giants. Use the hashtag #WorldElephantDay. Or if you like nostalgia, it’s Vinyl Record Day too. Maybe share an LP Record-inspired post using a template like this:
13. International Left-Handers Day – Lefties unite! Today is your day and the day to celebrate being a left-hander. Maybe do a post about famous left-handers, or share if you are a left-0hander.
It’s also Prosecco Day. Cheers! Maybe share some Prosecco recipes!
14. Financial Awareness Day and International Rose Rosé. Day – In case you didn’t get enough Prosecco on the 13th, you can now indulge in a nice glass of Rosé.
15. National Relaxation Day – If you can be bothered posting on National Relaxation Day, use the hashtag #NationalRelaxationDay. Maybe you’ll come up with more August Social Media ideas while relaxing.
Share a relaxing post like this one:
It’s also Cupcake Day. Any excuse, right?
16. National Tell a Joke Day – Use the hashtag #NationalTellAJokeDay, and let loose with your best jokes.
It’s also National Rum Day. Cocktail, anyone?
17. Today is Black Cat Appreciation Day and National Not for Profit Day!
If you’re a changemaker working for a cause or social enterprise, celebrate it!
18. Serendipity Day – Believe in Serendipity? Talk about it today. #SerendipityDay.
It’s also National Fajita Day, so break out your fajitas, guac and chips and margaritas!
19. World Photo Day – You shouldn’t have any trouble thinking about what to post on World Photo Day… um…. a photo perhaps? It was a no brainer to include this in our August Social Media Ideas. It’s a good thing that our social media platforms love photos! Go crazy on Instagram today! Use the hashtag #WorldPhotoDay.
it’s also World Humanitarian Day (use #WorldHumanitarianDay), Orangutan Day, Aviation Day, Phew, that’s a lot of days on the 19th this year!
20. National Lemonade Day – Got a good story about your early years in business (or running a lemonade stand?). Use the hashtag #NationalLemonadeDay.
It’s also National Radio Day. How far we’ve come from radio to podcasts! And also a return to what we have always loved at the same time!
And for the bacon lovers… even though there seems to be dozens of “bacon days’ throughout the year, apparently this is National Bacon Lovers Day.
21. Senior Citizens Day – Use the hashtag #SeniorCitizensDay.
It’s also Poets Day. Share your favourite poem or poet.
It’s also International Geocaching Day – If you haven’t discovered geocaching yet (as an adult or a kid) and you love adventures and solving puzzles… you’ll want to check it out. It’s a location-based game that has outlived Pokemon Go in many countries. Celebrated on the 3rd Saturday in August.
The 3rd Saturday in August is also World Honey Bee Day, and this is super important… we need to protect our bees, like our lives depend on it (because they do!). World Bee Day in May but this is a second awareness day when beekeepers, beekeeping clubs and associations, (as well as honey bee enthusiasts) in the US celebrate honey bees (and the beekeepers) and recognize their contribution to our everyday lives.
And break out your couture … today is World Fashion Day! Share a Fashion or style quote!
22. Be an Angel Day – Use the hashtag #BeAnAngelDay.
It’s also Eat a Peach Day. Share your favourite peach recipe, or just enjoy a fresh, juicy peach! #EatAPeachDay.
23. Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and it’s Abolition. – Unesco founded Slave Trade Remembrance Day to remind us about the history of slavery and to continue awareness about abolishing slavery worldwide, as it still exists. You can find out about it here.
24. Strange Music Day – use this as an excuse to talk about the unfamiliar or the bizarre… or both.. when it comes to music.
It’s also Vesuvius Day, the commemorate the day that Mt Vesuvius erupted and buried the city of Pompei in Italy, on August 24th, 79AD.
25. National Kiss and Make Up Day – Time to make up and let it go!
It’s also National Whiskey Sour Day.
26. National Dog Day – time to post or talk about your friendly pooch! Share a fun post like this (and what type of dog ARE you today?).
It’s also National Women’s Equality Day – use the hashtag #Womens EqualityDay.
27. Today is Just Because Day, so it’s a great day to do something.. just because.
28. National Bow Tie Day – use the hashtag #NationalBowTieDay.
It’s also Red Wine Day. Because we can’t have too many wine days in August:
29. International Day Against Nuclear Tests. Find out more on the United Nations Website here.
It’s also Lemon Juice Day. If life gives you lemons.. add them to your August Social Media Ideas! Why not share something lemon-themed. Maybe a quote or even a quick how-to recipe.
30. National Toasted Marshmallow Day – a favorite for kids and adults the world over, today is a good day to toast some marshmallows.
It’s also National Grief Awareness Day and Frankenstein Day and International Whale Shark Day and National Beach Day, to name a few.
31. International Bacon Day – judging by the number of people around the world that are obsessed with bacon, you’d think that 365 days per year were “Bacon Day”. But apparently, this is also an official day. Use #BaconDay, and heck…lets just make it Bacon Month*
*Not an official “month-long celebration”, just a suggestion.
It’s also apparently Eat Outside Day. So… eat some BLTs outside!
Use this quick list of August months to find month-long social media ideas:
- National Breastfeeding Month
- Family Fun Month
- Home Business Month
- Black Business Month
- National Breastfeeding Month
- National Golf Month
- National Wellness Month
- Professional Speakers Month
- National Eye Exam Month
- National Inventor’s Month
Use this quick list of August weeks to find week-long social media ideas:
- World Breastfeeding Week (begins August 1st)
- International Clown Week (1-7 August)
- Elvis Presley Week (11-17 August)
- Be Kind to HumanKind Week (last week in August – 25th to 31st)
Want more Canva Templates?
Follow my Canva Creator Profile here on the Canva Marketplace – I’m one of the original invite-only creators for the Canva Marketplace and have hundreds of templates available for you to use with a Canva Pro Account. When you follow a Creator you see their recent templates on the Templates Home Page.
And remember, you can join Canva Pro free for 45 days, using this link:
Want more Social Media Content Calendar ideas?
Check out our complete 12-month calendar for 2021 in this post:
Over to You
Do you schedule your social media content ahead? What are your Favourite August Social Media holidays for 2021?
Donna is a Visual Content Strategist and founder of Socially Sorted, listed by Forbes as a “Top 5 Social Media Blog You Need to Know About in 2019”. Donna helps brands leverage the power of visual storytelling and content strategy in their business. Her content has been featured in publications such as Forbes and Entrepreneur Online and she is a contributor to Social Media Examiner. Donna speaks about digital and visual content for the marketing and tourism industries internationally.